Most people simply want to help, to do something
important, and/or to assist others in need. Many who are aware of the
terrible suffering going on in the world today feel they simply must do
something to help.
Giving is the reason why people volunteer. Their
contributions to others and their community bring them fulfillment and
know- ledge that they have made a difference.
When you volunteer, you give part of yourself - your
time, energy, skills and feelings. You give to your family and friends, to
your neighbors, to your community. Sometimes you are giving to people you
donít know, to people thousands of miles away.
Volunteering is a two way street - you give some of your
time and energy and you should be getting something in return. Whatever
your reasons for volunteering, you are more than likely to enjoy yourself
if you know what you want to get out of it. By volunteering you get
involved in a cause or issue that concerns you, you meet new people and
have some fun, you share your interest and hobbies with others, you become
a part of something that really makes a difference, you contribute to your
community, you feel a sense of accomplishment, you learn new skills, you
help those in need of comfort and you create meaningful memories.
Everyone has skills to offer even though you may not
realize it at first. As a new volunteer some of the important things you
can give are your enthusiasm, a regular commitment of time and energy and
your desire to get involved and make a difference.
Volunteering at the Snohomish Chalet
Services needed by Individuals:
- Be a friend by visiting
- Read to someone who canít talk
- Tutor someone needing reading practice
- Play the piano, other instrument or sing
- Entertainment (Plays, Skits, Dance, etc.)
- Lead a sing-a-long
- Help with library services
- Bring a pet to visit
- Assist with Arts and Crafts
- Help with evening activities (Bingo, games and
- Give manicures
- Help with ceramics (Clean green ware)
- Help with outings
- Assist with Church services
- Present travelogues
- Share your interest
These are just a few suggestions. We are eager to know
what you are enthusiastic about and the talents you have, the
possibilities are endless.
Services needed by Groups:
- Provide entertainment: singing, music, slides, or
videos, band, dance, or music recital, magic show, puppet show, animals,
- Sing carols during the holidays
- Make homemade cookies for special occasions
- Make cards - Birthdays, Valentines, Christmas
- Make Posters
- Make Tray Favors
- Help with special projects i.e. Pumpkin Carving
- Decorate an individualís room
- Decorate entire building for a holiday
- Churches can join our rotation to give services on
- Sponsor a Birthday Party or help with one
- Help with cleanup of Camp Careless in June
- Help with football scrimmage, motorcycle demos,
Services done away from Delta:
- Making tray favors or place mats for holiday meals
- Send cards to individual residents
- Sewing projects (We provide supplies)
- Gather or make prizes for festival
- Afghans for beds and lap robes for wheelchairs
- Scrapbooks for people to look at
- Homemade cookies for special events
- Make seasonal decorations, ornaments
- Make posters and other decorations to brighten walls
- Donations of baskets, crafts materials, etc.
Each year there are three extra special events
held at Delta. These events are possible because of the volunteers of
families, friends, organizations, community leaders and community people.
They include the Summer Festival, Camp Careless and Christmas.
The Summer Festival (just like a country fair)
is held the first Saturday in August and is free to all who attend.
Camp Careless is located on the property and is
in operation through the summer months. Every resident at Delta gets an
opportunity to go camping.
The Christmas Party is the second Sunday in
December and is special time for everyone.
Since these activities are so special there are plenty
of opportunities to volunteer as most of it depends on volunteers.
There are so many good ideas for volunteering, we hope
you will share your skills with us. Our goal is to make available to the
people who live at the Chalet activities that encourage living life as
fully as possible.